Feminist Frequency is a video webseries that explores the representations of women in pop culture narratives. The video series was created by Anita Sarkeesian in 2009 and largely serves as an educational resource to encourage critical media literacy and provide resources for media makers to improve their works of fiction.
Feminist Frequency is a 501(c)3 non profit charity and all videos are available on YouTube to watch and share for free without any advertising. These educational videos are made possible by generous donations from viewers.
Anita Sarkeesian is a media critic and the creator of Feminist Frequency, a video webseries that explores the representations of women in pop culture narratives. Her work focuses on deconstructing the stereotypes and tropes associated with women in popular culture as well as highlighting issues surrounding the targeted harassment of women in online and gaming spaces. Anita earned her bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies at California State University Northridge and her Master’s degree in Social and Political Thought at York University.
Anita lectures and presents at universities, conferences and game development studios internationally. She’s been a presenter and panelist at various fan, media and technology conferences and has also facilitated and taught multi-day filmmaking workshops. She has been interviewed and featured in publications such as Forbes, Wired, The Boston Globe, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. Her videos are freely available via the Feminist Frequency YouTube channel and widely serve as educational tools in high school and university classrooms.
Anita was the recipient of the 2014 Game Developers Choice Ambassador Award, she was given a 2013 honorary award from National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers and was nominated for Microsoft’s 2014 Women in Games Ambassador Award.
MORE STAFF BIOS COMING SOON!
- This Women Was Threatened With Rape After Calling Out Sexist Video Games – Mother Jones – May 30, 2014
- Curbing Online Abuse Isn’t Impossible. Here’s Where We Start – WIRED – May 15, 2014
- Blurred Lines: The New Battle of the Sexes – BBC2 Documentary – May 8, 2014 [VIDEO]
- The Setup Interview: Anita Sarkeesian – Usesthis.com – March 4, 2014
- Feminist Critics of Video Games Facing Threats in ‘GamerGate’ Campaign – New York Times [front page] – (Oct 15, 2014)
- Anita Sarkeesian on GamerGate: ‘We Have a Problem and We’re Going to Fix This’ – Rolling Stone Magazine – (Oct 17, 2014)
- Gamergate is loud, dangerous and a last grasp at cultural dominance by angry white men – The Guardian – (Oct 21, 2014)
- Utah lawmaker: State colleges can’t limit guns – Salt Lake City Tribune – (Oct 15, 2014)
- Anita Sarkeesian explains why she canceled USU lecture – Salt Lake City Tribune – (Oct 16, 2014)
- Feminist speaker questions Utah’s campus gun laws – Associated Press – (Oct 15, 2014)
- Critique & Controversy – Game Informer magazine – (November 2014 – Print/iPad only)
- No More Helpless Damsels: One Gamer’s War on Sexism – WIRED Magazine – August 16, 2013
- Fans Take Videogame Damsels Out of Distress – Wall Street Journal – July 3, 2013
- Taking on games that demean women – Boston Globe – June 22, 2013
- Lara Croft’s Next Adventure – Entertainment Weekly – March 1, 2013
- Dangerous Games: Tropes vs Women Bullying – Global 16×9 TV Segment – Nov, 2012 [VIDEO]
- Sexual Harassment in Online Videogames: How to Fix the Problem – Forbes – August 3, 2012
- In Virtual Play, Sex Harassment Is All Too Real – New York Times – August 1, 2012
- GeekGirlCon ’12 Preview: A Q&A with Anita Sarkeesian – GeekGirlCon – August 1, 2012
- Woman Vs. Internet: How Anita Sarkeesian beat trolls – GamesIndustry International – July 10, 2012
- From Samus to Lara: An Interview With Anita Sarkeesian – Gamespot – June 12, 2012
- How Anita Sarkeesian funded a project about video game sexism – PMSClan – June 10, 2012
- Tropes Vs Women in Video Games – Gaming As Women – June 18th, 2012
- Feminist Take on Games Draws Crude Ridicule, Massive Support – Wired – June 14th, 2012
- The slacker is back – and this time she’s female by Hermione Hoby, The Guardian – March 24, 2012
- Oscars, Soccer, and Bluegrass on KSPC Uproot: A Public Affairs Show – Feb 26, 2012 [Audio]
- The Oscars’ woman problem by Michael Barthel on Salon.com – Feb 25, 2012
- Parks and Recs’ Unfortunate Misstep by Steve Winchell – Feb 25, 2012
- On the Female Anti-Hero… by Ben Martin – Dec 6, 2011
- The Bechdel Test and Women in Movies, KUOW Radio, The Conversation – July 1, 2011 [Audio]
- Feminist Frequency, WAM! the media & Mujeres de Maiz, KPFK Radio, Feminist Magazine – March 16, 2011 [Audio]
- The Feministing Five: Anita Sarkeesian, Feministing – March 12, 2011
- My Interview with Feminist Frequency’s Anita Sarkeesian, Text Appeal – January 17, 2011
- GABcast: M.I.A./The Bechdel Test (Podcast or Transcript), Gender Across Borders – September 14, 2010 [Audio]